Most of us would love to change something about our teeth. Maybe they are cracked or worn. Perhaps there are gaps between your teeth. Maybe you have significant cavities.
There’s nothing quite like an attractive smile. A nice smile builds confidence. It makes you feel better about yourself. That’s because appearances matter — it’s sad but true. When people see you, they judge you based on your smile. A beautiful smile can help in social situations and even assist you in securing employment. People like attractive people; it’s just in our nature.
At Blue Sky Dental, we understand the importance of a straight, bright smile. But a gorgeous smile starts with a healthy mouth. This means regular cleanings are important. A professional cleaning every six months can keep your teeth healthy and free of cavities and disease.
The main goal of the team at Blue Sky Dental is to provide comprehensive dental services to the entire family. From children to adults to seniors and everyone in between, we serve patients of all ages. Come meet our team today to learn more about our services and see how we can assist you.
What is Cosmetic Dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry refers to dental work that improves the appearance of teeth, bites, and gums. It primarily focuses on improving the aesthetics of the color, position, shape, size, and alignment of teeth. The treatments are aimed at improving the appearance of your teeth and gums. Anyone with a healthy mouth can avail of the benefits of cosmetic dentistry.
Types of Cosmetic Dentistry
If you are looking to improve your smile, there are many types of cosmetic dentistry to consider. They include the following:
- Invisalign: Invisalign is a form of teeth straightening that does not require metal braces. Instead, it uses clear aligners to shift teeth into place. Aligners have to be worn more than 20 hours a day. They are changed out every few weeks as your teeth move. Invisalign aligners are pretty much invisible. They are much more discreet than braces and are easy to use. Another benefit is that they are removable, so you can continue to enjoy your favorite foods without restrictions. They can straighten teeth in as little as six months, although some cases may take almost two years.
- Crowns: When a tooth is cracked or severely decayed, a dentist may use a crown to protect it. Crowns are also used for dental implants and bridges. A crown is a type of cap that is placed over the tooth to strengthen and protect it. To ensure a proper fit, the dentist will remove a small amount of enamel and then bond your new crown in place. Crowns are often made from materials such as resin, metal, and porcelain. Crowns can improve chewing function and enhance your smile. They are also durable, lasting as long as 15 years.
- Fillings: When you have a cavity, it should be filled to prevent further damage. Fillings can also repair cracked or broken teeth. In the past, silver amalgam was the most popular filling. This consisted of a mixture of silver, copper, tin, and zinc. Nowadays, composite resin is popular. It is tooth-colored, so it matches your teeth and makes the filling less noticeable. Gold and porcelain are also filling options to consider. Gold and silver fillings tend to last the longest, at 10-15 years. However, gold is the most expensive of the fillings. While composite fillings have the benefit of aesthetics, they wear out quicker, lasting just five years on average. They are also prone to chipping.
- Veneers: If your natural teeth just aren’t cutting it, you can simply cover them up with veneers. Veneers are thin shell-like coverings that are placed over the fronts of your teeth. They allow you to have the “Hollywood” smile, just like your favorite celebrities. They are made of composite resin or porcelain and look natural. Composite veneers are more affordable and are often done in one visit. They are strong and don’t stain easily, but can chip under pressure. They do require some enamel removal, but less than a crown. Keep veneers in good shape by brushing and flossing daily.
- Teeth whitening: While there are many over-the-counter products available to brighten your smile, nothing works as effectively as a professional teeth whitening. The two main products used for professional teeth whitening are hydrogen peroxide and carbamide peroxide. Many over-the-counter products also use a form of peroxide, but the chemical concentration is different. Dentists use a very high percentage of hydrogen peroxide because they can isolate the teeth and protect the gums from damage. This can be done in one longer appointment or several shorter ones. In-office whitening can last 1-3 years, although you may need touchups from time to time, especially if you drink coffee or wine often.
- Dental implants: If you are missing multiple teeth and want to restore the look and function of your smile, dental implants may be a good option. Dental implant surgery replaces tooth roots with screw-like posts that are placed in your jawbone. This procedure replaces missing teeth with artificial teeth that look and function just like real ones. Dental implants are good alternatives to bridges and dentures, which may look unsightly and not fit well. They provide solid support for your new teeth. However, the process does not happen overnight. It can take a year or longer to get a mouth full of implants because it has to occur in multiple steps. Plus, it’s a costly procedure, with each tooth costing more than $1,000.
Contact Us Today
When you want to improve the appearance and function of your teeth, Blue Sky Dental is here to help. We offer many options to make your smile dazzling.
Our friendly team is available most weekdays and we even offer convenient Saturday hours. We are closed Thursday and Sunday. To schedule an appointment or learn more about cosmetic dentistry. Call our office at 604-971-6999 or fill out our online form.